It's important to note that these are in the top 3 of my favorite cupcakes that have ever come out of my kitchen. It's 75% the cream cheese frostings fault, and 25% the red velvet cupcakes. My mouth is watering as I'm typing. Food Blogging is hard...
Keeping it Tasting Like Cream Cheese
This may seem silly, but I like my cream cheese frosting to taste like cream cheese. I don't know why, but when I get a store-bought cupcake with cream cheese frosting, I have to close my eyes and imagine it actually has cream cheese in it.
It isn't hard by the way. It's just more expensive. Butter, cream cheese, heavy cream... they aren't cheap when you are looking at 500+ cupcakes. If you flip that logic on its head, making a few dozen for friends and family will cost you under $10. Totally worth it. In my opinion at least.
Perfect Cake Pairing
Our personal favorite way to pair cream cheese frosting is with Red Velvet Cake. While carrot cake & chocolate are also a solid options, everyone has to have a favorite.
You can absolutely store this in the fridge for about a week, but my word of caution here would be that it WILL firm back up. If you throw it in a bowl, it will be multiple inches thick and take hours to get pliable again.
If you want to go this route I would put it in a zip lock bag and smooth it nice and flat. When you are ready to use it, pull it out and set it on the counter for about an hour and it should be ready!
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 16 Ounces Cream Cheese
- 8 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Heavy Cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Make sure the butter and cream cheese are at room temperature.
- Add them both to your mixing bowl and beat until fully combined.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar to the butter and cream cheese mixture until fully combined. Scraping down the sides as you go to make sure there are no lumps or dumps hiding anywhere.
- Add the vanilla, and 1 tablespoon of the heavy cream. Whip until it starts to become light and fluffy.
- If you need the 2nd Tablespoon of heavy cream to reach your desired consistency, add it now.
- Lick the spoon, and enjoy!
Want to take your cooking game to the next level? Here's a list of some of the tools I use every time I make this recipe that help make this a breeze!