Inspired by the simplicity of Greek flavors, we wanted to make a Greek chicken marinade that could be used for more than one dish. Whether we turn this into a Gyro or a rice bowl, it always turns out delicious. Everyone has the opportunity to make and style their own dish. Making it easier on whoever is making dinner, plus the pickier eaters can just have chicken and rice if they really want to.
We love this simple yet delicious recipe that is super fast to throw together, easy, and most importantly delicious.
This Greek chicken marinade comes together in just a few minutes with mostly staple pantry ingredients. Plain Greek yogurt is the base on which we add garlic, honey, and oregano. When grilled, broiled, or baked the coating browns beautifully and adds such amazing flavor.
I usually keep plain Greek yogurt in my house for lots of recipes including sauces, marinades, or dips. I love finding ways to use one ingredient multiple ways, so if you aren't someone who generally keeps plain Greek yogurt around and want to find a few other ways to use it check out our Harissa Chicken recipe as well!
How to Use Your Greek Chicken
In our house, we generally go in one of two directions... a rice bowl or a pita. We set out the pickled red onion, cucumber, olives, feta, tzatziki, rice, and pita (or naan)... If you have ever been to Cava (a Greek Style Chipotle), that's basically what we are doing.
Setting up a buffet-style line of all your options and letting everyone design their own dinner. You add what YOU want... everyone wins.
What To Make with Your Greek Chicken
While I am all about homemade, one reason I love this recipe is that it's super easy to make & great for a busy weeknight. If I try to make 10 homemade toppings/sides for it I am kind of defeating the simplicity of it. For me at least.
I generally buy my tzatziki & hummus premade. However, I always keep homemade pickled red onions and jalapenos on hand. Here are a few of our own recipes I always incorporate into Greek night...
Easy Greek Chicken Marinade
- Cube your chicken breast into small bite size pieces
- In a bowl add all the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Add the chicken to your greek yogurt marinade and refrigerate for up to 24 hrs but you can use it immediately. I recommend a few hours.
- Place on a foil-lined sheet tray and bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes, or until fully cooked and slightly browned.
- Pair with pita or on top of rice with your favorite toppings.
- I add this on top of pita, naan, or rice. There really isn't a bad choice.
- If you want to kick up the heat, add some harissa to the marinade.
- I added red onion, cucumber, avocado, feta, and a homemade Roasted Red Pepper Sauce.
- If you want some extra color on yours bump up the temperature of the oven to 450 or broil for the last minute in the oven.